Translate

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

First Grey Knights, Plus Random Thoughts


In the words of Dr. Nick.... "HI EVERYBODY." DFK! time....

Hard to keep posting on a regular schedule. Hard to keep enthusiastic about this great 40k hobby, but more on that point in a minute.

So, I am pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but I'm a power-armor-head. You know, like a gear head, tech head.... except with power-armor. Or power armour, for you subjects of the Queen. Anyhow, I have several 40k armies in varies states of completion (or disarray, depending on your point of view). Vanilla marines, Black Templars, Deathwing, Space Wolves, Tyranids, and some Grey Knights in boxes on the shelf.

Notice a pattern?

Anyhow, a couple Sunday's ago, using some borrowed GK, I got to run a list pretty similar, albeit smaller-er than my eventual list, of GK. I played against the Sisters in my gaming group, who usually runs a pretty competitive ensemble. I learned many things from this game, but alas I have no pics. You will have to deal with generic web pics. The peasants will not rejoice...


Right, so uh, lessons learned from this game: I dig GK (always loved the models way back to when they first got their own book in 3E. Sadly, at that time I was in college and couldn't purchase them). I should point out that I run a "true" GK list, no acolytes or retinues. I do have on Inquisitor as my HQ, who's along to help mete out death in the name of the god-emperor, but even he's got the PA upgrade.

More important and less subjective lessons: Despite being all power armor-y, GK definitely play quite different from my other lists. They don't mind quite so badly being out of a transport, particularly with psybolt ammunition. Further lesson: if you aren't running them in rhinos or with acolytes, take this upgrade. You can lay some major hurt down.

What else, oh, yea, psychotroke grenades are useful and a bit hilarious, though frustrating for your opponent. Definitely worth 15 points though. Lack of melta could seriously hurt against higher AV vehicles, but psycannons do pretty well, and psyfleman dreads put a hurtin' on middle-weight vehicles.

My friend's Sisters are normally pretty competitive in our particular gaming group, but a lesson I learned on his side: 1,500 points is not optimal for the lady nuns in space. I think they need either much smaller or a little bigger, say 1,750 or 1,850.

I didn't get to run the fully-fledged list I plan to build, but that's because I was using borrowed models, so I had to make due. It was good to help refine my future purchases and it was a good game had by all.

That said, let's mention why those are still, after a year since my first GK purchase, FUTURE purchases, and why it's a bit hard to maintain 40k hobby enthusiasm right now:

GW marketing strategy.

There, I said it. You all know you agree, you just whisper it in dark corners and basements around beers or coffee while sneaking in your game of something besides 40k each weekend. GW's marketing strategy is, and this is coming from a former marketing professional, hmm, what's the term? ...Oh yeah, their marketing strategy is "weaksauce."

No rumors. No announcements. No hints. Great plan to build hype there, guys. /rolleyes.

The only thing you guys at GW do at this point is put a "preorder" blurb out basically a week before a launch? FFS. Videogames and movies are previewing things as much as a YEAR in advance.

I'm sure some people keep on buying, but I'm equally sure that everybody in my game group, as well as other groups (hat tip to Martial Law) are slowing down purchases. Enthusiasm dies over time. And now, with 'Crons in October and Empire here in April, you're looking at Nov-(at least)-May without a full 40k release. Seems like a great way to cool everybody's purchases AND totally skip the holiday spending season. Odd choices.

Furthermore, and finally for this post, there are the rumors of a 6th edition and many, many, MANY rumors of what codex is next. This keeps people from buying, and explains even why folks like me aren't purchasing. GK is my next army. Period. Sure, a BT or DA book may come out and I may tweak my other lists, but the GK on the shelf need built. But they're not going to get built any time soon, cuz there are only about 750pts worth, so I need to buy at least another 750 to play. But why buy and build when a new edition may come along and, if as drastic as some of the "preview" links make it appear, change my whole list dynamic?

Answer: there is no reason to do so. So gamers like me sit and wait. No cash flow comes from leaving your customers in the dark. But if you drop hints, "more vehicles," "less vehicles," "smaller games," "apocalypse gear in normal missions," or whatever, people could at least get a clue, and might still give you their hard-earned dough.

Just a rant, some lessons, and some things to think about. Hope to post again before too long, and hope to see your comments. Let me know if you agree or disagree.

DFK!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...