Translate

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

GK's a list finally

So first off I want to point out that there appears to be a faction of people that are angry when you start a new army? Not exactly sure why? When I decided I would start another army and picked GK's I had several people I talk to get all angry face on me? So I gotta ask what's with the hate? I had people give me crap for starting a power gaming army? Telling me that I shouldn't make the jump... these are IG and SW players mind you so I really don't see how even if that was my goal that they have any room to talk. LOL people are funny. =P 
Anyway so I sat down and went over this codex several times trying to figure out what I should build. I mean I like the rest of you reading this aren't made of money so I can't build all the options so I generally try to pick one list and build that. A starting point list. I think that most people do this but I could be wrong? This generally means I go through and build several army lists playing around with the different combinations possible in the codex trying out things while bothering my wargaming club mates for feedback. There are several places online you could go for feedback as well since the GK bug has been all over the Internets. 

For example Purgy was talking about it here as he also builds his own GK force. 
He ends up settling on a version with two Storm Ravens and two large squads of Purifiers. It's interesting to read because he is always willing to take feedback for discussion and also because he has changed the base of MVB theory to his own playstyle which is what any gamer should do I think. Speaking of MVB you should also check out his article (also linked in Purgy's)
He builds a solid core that you can build around depending on what you would like to take.Its a very solid theory and concept.. Mike himself also throws up another list using the Grand Master instead of a Libby that you can find here. 
There are several other sites that post different style lists from these. Like The brown paintbrush, YTTH, goatboy, and even the 11th Company and really I am sure several others I am not mentioning or thinking of off the top of my head. 

Neil from the 11th Company has a really solid list and I like what he is doing with it. I wasn't sure where I could find a written version of it online to link to though? He mentions it in the podcast but I think he forgets that since other people don't play it they don't memorize what he runs. He is in the habit of just saying what he changed from it the week before so I honestly couldn't tell you the exact list. He runs a coteaz core with LR Ven dreads, some purg squads and a large counter charge unit of DCA's. Its a really solid list I think I really like the LR added to it. Basically its a shooty army with a solid counter charge element. It has a good response to deal with most things. Not really the flavor I personally would start out playing, but you never know where I'll end up once I start playing and tweaking things I don't like with things I do. 

MVB has a really awesome list too using the Grand Master instead of a libby for some cool options using Grand Strat. Something me and a few of my friends had talked about from time to time. I personally decided that I favor the Libby though over the GM since he helps your vehicles he seems to add to synergy I think he will be a bit more useful for a larger number of match ups vs the GM. Again not a bad list at all just again I think for my playstyle I want to try the libby first. 

I went back and forth on several options but I finally decided that my first attempt at running GK's would end up being something like this roughly

Coteaz
Libby, with powers and a few servo skulls
3 acolyte with melta razorback psybolt ammo
3 acolyte with melta razorback psybolt ammo
3 acolyte with melta razorback psybolt ammo
5 acolyte with bolters razorback psybolt ammo
5 acolyte with bolters razorback psybolt ammo
6 DCA 2 acolyts with melta razorback psybolt ammo
autocannon dread with psybolt ammo
autocannon dread with psybolt ammo
autocannon dread with psybolt ammo
5 purifiers, hammer, 2 halberds, 2 psycannons, rhino
5 purifiers, hammer, 2 halberds, 2 psycannons, rhino
Storm raven, multi melta, plasma. 
Vindicator sniper of shooty death.

The core of the army is the same Coteaz which gives you access to cheap vehicles and (this is important IMHO) Melta guns. The army doesn't have a ton of access to melta however with the current meta being what it is you can't really discount taking it so I brought some units I can throw away if I need/want to depending on what's going on. Nice to actually have some useful Henchman units right? The Henchmen with Boltguns will mostly start in reserve for keeping them safe reasons. They will pretty much just be cheap objective grabbers on my side of the board. They have boltguns for the off chance they may actually get to shoot something. Then the DCA because they are awesome counter charge unit/ threat unit. People don't like getting charged by them. 

Seems to be a great starting point any thoughts comments or feedback as always are welcome. 







8 comments:

  1. 1 thing. 23 Kill Points. In Easy to kill units.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The list I am currently running looks like this:

    HQ:
    Coteaz - 100
    Librarian - 170 (shrouding, MoT, quicksilver, warp rift)

    Elites:
    3 x Ven Dreads w/ 2 x TLACs + Psybolts - (195 ea)

    Troops:
    3 x 3 x Acolytes + Bolters w/ Psybacks ( 65 ea.)
    2 x 5 x Death Cult Assassins w/ Psybacks ( 125 ea.)
    1 x 7 x Death Cult Assassins w/ Psyback - 155

    Heavy:
    2 x Dreads + 2 x TLACS + Psybolts - 135 ea.
    1 x Land Raider Redeemer + MM + Psybolts - 260

    Total: 2k

    I will either be taking that to the BFS next weekend or a potential evolution I will be checking out this weekend which is:

    HQ:
    Coteaz - 100
    Librarian (saa) - 170

    Elites:
    3 x Ven Dreads + 2 x TLACS + Psybolts - 195ea.

    Troops:
    4 x 3 x Acolytes w/ Bolters + Psybacks (65 ea)
    2 x 7 x Death Cult Assassins (105 ea)

    Heavy:
    1 x Dread w/ 2 x TLACs + Psybolts - 135
    2 x Land Raider Redeemers + MM + psybolts (260 ea)

    Total: 1980

    One LR has been working so well for me blowing off a lot of the S8 shooting, I'm really tempted to try 2. :) Not sure I will like though giving up 2 psybacks and a dread to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, wanted to break the comment up.

    Things I have learned thus far.

    Melta Acolytes don't really get used. They look awesome on paper but do not pan out on the table. If you listen to 40KUK at all (i think a couple episodes back) two of their big players play GKs and express very well the same sentiment and a much better job as to why. Basically, it has to do being such short range with the melta and needing those units to be able to score. You don't want to sacrifice them to fire those BS 3 meltas, which is what you will do if you bring them out. My acolytes spend way more time either inside a Razor or completely hiding. Play test a bit, and I think you'll see after a bit what I'm talking about. I have also tried the Storm Bolter Acolyte thing with Monkies, and it has the same problem. This may be shored up a bit by taking Chimeras, but the thing I can't get my head around whilst doing that is, why am I not just playing Guard then? :)

    The Vindicare is extreme hit or miss, and it today's meta, he's not very good due to not lasting long. For example, a single Psybolt Dread has excellent odds of killing a Vindicare right off the bat. When you mix in a solid player's ability to get a 4+ save on almost everything, the Vindicare basically ends up with 1-2 shots a game that are effective before dying.

    Let me know how the Storm Chicken goes too because I really badly want to include one in my lists exclusively for Mind Strikes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a bad start. I question this unit - '6 DCA 2 acolyts with melta razorback psybolt ammo' Razorbacks only hold 6...
    The Stormraven works well with the Libby. I use 3 with my BA and they are wonderful but in GK they have a different role. If you plan on using it as an assault unit with Libby and Purifiers...take a Ven Dread AssCannon, Psybolt, HF, Psyflame. It will add a little more punch and tie up some units in their deployment zone. Drop 1 unit of Purifiers, add the Dread for about the same pts. Beef up the other unit of Purifiers and drop the Rhino. Also look into the Hurricane sponsons...they work wonderfully and are defensive fire.

    I concur with Neil on the MG Acolyte. Try a 3 man Acolyte unit 1 MG, 2 Plasmagun in a Psyback. Same pts, better shooting and safer for a weak Troop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Taubeast well I tend to ignore KP issues when building a army then after play testing if it becomes a problem I tweak the list. I play a MSU style in most my armies so far so I am used to having to play KP missions differently but honestly its normally not as big a deal as it seems on paper. Just a weakness of my list building I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Neil THanks for posting your list. I like your list and what it does and the one LR is pretty sweet I think. I am really curious if you enjoy running two as I would guess it takes away too much from the rest of your list.

    I will have to go back and check out the 40kuk episodes for the run down. I like having some melta to throw away in the army but again like you said the troops are really squishy so throwing a few away might be dangerous. I do appreciate your feedback since I know you have been playing and more importantly testing out GK's and tweaking while you go. I will go back and take a second look at the melta troops. I agree that chimera's are not the way to go though since you are giving up one of the GK strengths by taking a non GK vehicle. Plus as you said guard do it better.

    I am back and forth on the sniper for the same reasons you mentioned I do like that he changes the way your opponent plays while he is alive and I enjoy that he takes anti vehicle fire away from my vehicles. He is more of a distraction unit than anything plus he can break a LR at a distance. Which is something this army lacks as well. **shrug.

    Its funny you say that about the storm raven because I am trying it for the missiles. It's another vehicle in my vehicle heavy list that has to be dealt with and the Missiles have to be annoying for other players.

    How do the 5 man DCA squads work out for you? I am guessing in your army they are mainly used to clean up after you tie up units with your dreads?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Edge the DCA's would go in the Plane with the Libby. I want my purifiers in rhino's on the ground as a good deal with things unit plus they have decent shooting until they need to react. I would prob add Coteaz to one of these squads.

    The Storm Raven would again most the time be a distraction I can zoom it around and with a cover save plus shrouding it would do ok against most anti tank. I wouldn't be rushing it forward unless there was a reason too. IT's flexible and I like flexible. I however think the LR is a better buy for the army but... then I have to drop the sniper because you need at least three dreads for the anti vehicle in the army IMHO. I might end up dropping the sniper for a ven dread at some point anyway though. The ven dreads again are just so good in the GK dex I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, so many, many lists with Acolytes as core.

    Doth none bring Strike Squads hither and yon?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...